Thelma Bates was a phenomenal woman that touched the lives of many with her unwavering spirit. She was a leader in her own unique way. Many can remember her uplifting and encouraging words of affirmation in Sunday school classes and through her work with the hearing impaired. She was a woman that loved the Lord with all of her heart; she was also the mother that raised Felicia Bates Pointer, the President & Founder of J.U.S.T.
Thelma was a woman with very little education but would conquer any task that was put before her, whether it was through her love for crafts or her intuitiveness to speak a timely word. There was no such thing as “I can’t do it” in her vocabulary because with God – all things are possible. In 1995, before she passed away, a goal of hers was to return to school to further her education; she was a huge proponent of education being your “success card” to life.
$500 scholarships will be awarded to four students per school year to be put toward their books, room & board, or tuition. Applications will open in Spring ‘2022.
- First Generation College Student in Immediate Household
- Young Woman Between the Ages of 17 – 21
- Passion to Make a Difference in Society
- Submit a 500 word essay on “Why College Will Make a Difference For Me”
- Provide proof of enrollment into college (two letters of recommendations, transcripts, class schedule, or current school ID)
Thank you for visiting this page. Please come back and apply for one of the scholarships in Spring ‘2022 to learn what is needed to qualify for “Thelma Bates Memorial Scholarship”.